Monday, May 27, 2013

It's Really Not Fair

Shirley has been stabilized and is resting under sedation in the Intensive Care Unit.  After all that she has been through over the past three and a half months, I am wondering when she is going to catch a break and have things go easy for her.  It appears that isn't going to be any time soon.

The verdict is still out on exactly what set off the episode this morning.  A list of lab requests that scrolls two-plus computer screens are in process of being cultured.  What they have deduced based upon her symptoms is that it is likely a bacterial infection, and they are treating her for sepsis

In addition, they also believe she is dealing with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) a condition that is often associated with other serious illnesses or traumas.  Both sepsis and ARDS are very serious and can be fatal if not treated aggressively.

Currently, the plan is to keep her sedated for a few days while a ventilator does her breathing for her.  They are providing her with IV antibiotics to fight the infection as well as numerous other mediation to help maintain her vitals in the appropriate ranges.

It is a little after 11 pm and they are talking about doing a CT scan of her abdomen tonight to see if there is any sign of an infection in the region where her gall bladder was removed on Thursday.  She had been complaining of abdominal pain and this seems like a logical place to start their investigation.

Thanks to all whom have called, emailed, sent texts or commented on Facebook or on the blog.  It is good to know some many people are sending positive thoughts our way.  I'm sorry that I haven't been able to pick up every call or respond directly to every message.  This forum provides the best way to reach the widest audience.

If you have questions, please feel free to use the "add a comment" option at the bottom of the page. I would be sure to respond to these as I'm sure many people have the same questions and would appreciate the dialogue.

I will provide at least one update tomorrow.

Greg

6 comments:

Tammy Burgard said...

as

Tammy Burgard said...

Greg I have no words to express the emotions I am feeling right now, I can't even imagine how you are dealing with the anger, stress and frustration of this most recent set back. You and Shirley have both been through so much, you both deserve your time to recover, to heal, to rest and to be happy. I will continue to pray for you both and to send as much positive energy and healing thoughts your way as I can. Shirley has so many people pulling for her and we have all come a long ways together. You are both so well loved we are all martialing our resources.

Teresa said...

We have Shirley and all her family in our thoughts and prayers.

Bill Beckett said...

Greg - please let us know if there is anything you need we are ready to run errands or anything you might need from home or here we are just a call or text away. Love you both and praying for a good day for Shirley and brighter days ahead. Ruth & Bill

Joel B said...

Greg, you and Shirley are in me and Rachael's thoughts. She is such a great person and deserves to recover and live her life normally.

I truly believe that you and Shirley will pull through this ordeal.

Love Rachael and Joel

Lindsay said...

Written for Dianne:

Dear Shirley and Greg,

I have finally gotten on the blog after all this time. Lindsay has been updating me to this point. My heart is so sad about this latest update. I have been praying for months for Shirley and you. Caroline has said that you have been a rock through this whole ordeal. I bless the day that Shirley met you. You are the best thing that has ever happened in her life and she knows it. I believe in prayer, and know that God is with you. I have been praying for angels in the ICU. I have something I want to mail to Shirley, do you have an address for me? It is just a writing and a pocket cross. It is important to me to get this to her. What I would really like to do is come to Seattle for a day or two. I know we probably can't see Shirley, but we could see you even briefly. I know you are terribly busy and under a lot of stress, so please tell me if that is not a good idea at all and I will absolutely understand. Looking forward to hearing from you Greg, we will continue to pray faithfully. Love and hugs to you both,
Dianne
541-990-3838