Saturday, June 15, 2013

ICU Update, Day 18

My post today is part yesterday's news and part second hand, as I hit the road yesterday for a quick trip back to Portland and haven't seen Shirley since yesterday afternoon.

As of Friday, Shirley continued to improve and hold steady on all fronts.  Her most significant improvements being her increased lucidity.  Every four hours, the nurses do a mental health exam, asking her to tell them her name, ask where she is, etc.  In recent days, she could answer most questions, but might have to stop and think about one or incorrectly identify the city she was in.  Friday, she answered every question correctly during her midday exam (I'm giving her a "pass" on the early morning one, as she was awaken out of a deep sleep).

Beyond that, in the evening, she asked her night nurse to call me to make sure I had made it home in time for the going away dinner that my parents were hosting for our two exchange students.  This was truly a sign that she was remembering recent conversations and processing when I would be arriving.  A wonderful sign.

Her kidneys continue to be on hiatus.  She had another dialysis treatment, taking off 1.5 liters of excess fluid. The nephrologists are recommending going to treatments every other day.  They suspect that her kidneys will reawaken in a week or two.

Shirley is getting stronger is is reaching the point where she can cough strong enough on her own that she doesn't require a respiratory therapist to use suction to remove congestion from her lungs.

I will be checking in with the nurses later today for an update which I will pass along.

In the meantime, I have a bucket list of things to accomplish in Portland before returning to Seattle tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: