Saturday, June 1, 2013

ICU Update - Day 6

I wish I had encouraging news to report, but things seem to be either the same or getting worse.

I mentioned yesterday that Shirley had thrown up a couple times yesterday.  That has continued and they have now ceased the tube feeding and pills that were being administered orally (ground up, mixed with water and sent into the feeding tube) are again being administered via IV.

This afternoon, they took her down for another CT scan of her belly and observed some sort of blockage that is likely at least partially to blame for her abdominal pain.  The report I saw was preliminary and I haven't spoken to the doctors about it yet. I do know that they weighing the options of treating it surgically against less invasive but perhaps more prolonged methods of resolving.

Shirley's cousin Diane and her husband Merle came up to visit this afternoon.  I think if was very therapeutic to see familiar faces, even though I got the evil eye--I don't think Shirley wanted anyone to see her in her current state.  Although Shirley can't talk, it was clear that she understood who was visiting and responded with head nobs to questions.

No comments: