Thursday, July 11, 2013

Don't Bid the Devil Good Day

I should have know better.  And when Shirley eventually reads this blog, I can hear her scolding me for statements I made on Tuesday about her being on the fast track.  "Don't bid the Devil good day!" she'll exclaim.  Because no sooner did I mention that than she ran into the bleeding problem.

And because she had to go to the ER, the 24-hour SBT she was undergoing was ceased at about 20 hours for her ambulance joy ride. And when she returned, they gave her the rest of Wednesday off and kept her on the ventilator.  This morning, they began another SBT, but were only going to plan on doing six hours and would then assess if they could/should go longer.  For reasons explained below, I was not there at the six hour mark and she was on the vent when I did return, but I don't have the exact length that she completed.

The good news is that the bleeding from our tracheostomy incision has stopped bleeding.  And more good news, the tremors she was having in her hands that was making it hard for her to write has passed.  Her hand writing is not not only more legible, but far easier for her to write, so it is becoming a more effective means of communication when my lip reading skills fail me.

I had to make a quick work-related trip to Portland this afternoon.  Fortunately, with Shirley's father still in town, he was able to keep her company for the majority of the time I was away.  He has been bringing naval historical novels and has been reading to her.  I'm sure she is enjoying the stories, but I would guess she would be happy to hear his voice even if he was merely reading the phone book.


No comments: